Senior Cloud Architect
Senior Cloud Architect
New York City, New York
Illumon is building a team of world-class software engineers to commercialize big data technology developed within a hedge fund. We are a well-funded spinoff with offices in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and New York City, New York.
We are a small crew with big goals, and we are in the process of growing our core team. This is your opportunity to get in on the ground floor and to influence the firm’s direction.
At Illumon, we recognize that a dozen Salieris could never produce a Mozart masterpiece. Similarly, a dozen average developers could never produce the masterpiece of an elite software developer. We believe that a small team of elite developers is far better than an army of average developers. We only hire the best, and we reward accordingly.
What we expect:
- Design and implement Illumon's cloud environment
- Design and implement Illumon's development environment
- Design and implement Illumon's client-hosted environment
- Design and implement Illumon's security architecture
- Design and implement Illumon's monitoring systems
- Design and implement Illumon's software deployment strategy
- Collaborate on architecture of the data system
- Diagnose and solve system performance problems
- Propose hardware and software environments for new clients
Illumon is a meritocracy, not a bureaucracy. Our priority is for you to focus on what you love and do best: technology infrastructure.
Engineers at our Colorado Springs site will need to spend some time initially at our New York or Minnesota office while learning to manage our system.
- Self-driven, self-organized, proactive, highly motivated, personable, and intelligent
- 10+ years of practical experience in Linux system administration (CentOS preferred)
- Exceptional insights into architecting cloud and other complex solutions
- Experience designing and implementing automated testing, deployment, and monitoring solutions
- AWS or other cloud provider environments
- Concepts and capabilities of cloud platforms
- Management and automation tools
- Security considerations
- Security architecture
- Operating system configuration / administration skills
- Scripting skills (e.g., bash, perl, or python)
- Exceptional troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional performance analysis and tuning skills
- Configuration automation skills (e.g., Chef, Puppet, Salt)
- Interest in learning about and understanding complex software systems
- Building / managing monitoring and data-collection frameworks (e.g., Nagios/Zabbix, ELK stack, Collectd, InfluxDB, or similar)
- Solaris/Illumos system administration
- ZFS operation / architecture
- Build-management / CI frameworks
- Windows and Mac desktop management skills
- Obsession with producing quality results
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Well-developed sense of urgency
- Financial experience is not required
You will be expected to adapt quickly and learn new toolsets in a startup-like environment; we are more concerned with mental flexibility and temperament than specific skill sets.
Compensation & Benefits:
At Illumon, we want happy and fulfilled employees.
- Our compensation is designed to attract the best.
- We offer a generous vacation policy.
- We encourage you to work when you are most productive.