Colorado Springs, Colorado
Illumon is building a team of world-class software engineers to commercialize big data technology developed within a hedge fund. We are a well-funded spinoff with offices in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and New York City, New York.
We are a small crew with big goals, and we are in the process of growing our core team. This is your opportunity to get in on the ground floor and to influence the firm’s direction.
At Illumon, we recognize that a dozen Salieris could never produce a Mozart masterpiece. Similarly, a dozen average developers could never produce the masterpiece of an elite software developer. We believe that a small team of elite developers is far better than an army of average developers. We only hire the best, and we reward accordingly.
What we expect:
- Set up and maintain Illumon's build / QA environment
- Automated build / unit-testing harness
- Packaging and deployment mechanisms
- Release management
- Work with developers to specify and extend the QA environment
- Manage QA environment
- Collaborate on architecture of data system
- Production environment management
- Monitoring systems (performance data, availability, access logging)
- Work with developers to identify and address operating-system-related issues
- Oversee resource utilization (from a computing-resource view and a dollar-cost view)
- Authentication / authorization
- IT support for development environment
- Support developers as required
- Keep tabs on other hosted products used by Illumon (Gmail/web/aha/AWS/etc)
- Determine and implement changes to development environment as needs evolve
- Security management and oversight for both the development environment and the hosted environment
- Ensuring best practices for code management, desktop security tools, and incident response
- Security architecture for the hosted environment
- Procedures and documentation to address client concerns for hosted data
Illumon is a meritocracy, not a bureaucracy. Our priority is for you to focus on what you love and do best: technology infrastructure.
Engineers at our Colorado Springs site will need to spend some time initially at our New York or Minnesota office while learning to manage our system.
- Self driven, self organized, proactive, highly motivated, personable, and intelligent.
- 10+ years of practical experience in Linux system administration (CentOS preferred)
- Operating system configuration / administration skills
- Scripting skills (e.g bash, perl, or python)
- Exceptional troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional performance analysis and tuning skills.
- Configuration automation skills (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Salt)
- Interest in learning about and understanding complex software systems.
- Building / managing monitoring and data-collection frameworks (e.g. Nagios/Zabbix, ELK stack, Collectd, InfluxDB, or similar)
- AWS or other cloud provider environments
- Concepts and capabilities of cloud platforms
- Management and automation tools
- Security considerations
- Security architecture
- Solaris/Illumos system administration
- ZFS operation / architecture
- Build-management / CI frameworks
- Windows and Mac desktop management skills
- Obsession with producing quality results.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Well-developed sense of urgency.
- Financial experience is not required.
WIll be expected to adapt quickly and learn new toolsets in a startup-like environment; we are more concerned with mental flexibility and temperament than specific skill sets.
Compensation & Benefits:
At Illumon, we want happy and fulfilled employees.
- Our compensation is designed to attract the best.
- We offer a generous vacation policy.
- We encourage you to work when you are most productive.
Why Colorado Springs, Colorado?
Colorado Springs, Colorado is a vibrant mid-size city located at an elevation of 6,035 feet in the Rocky Mountains 60 minutes south of Denver. Home to multiple colleges, the U.S. Olympic Training Center, the U.S. Air Force Academy, and numerous high-tech startups, Colorado Springs has an active intellectual and social community in an enviable outdoor setting.
Colorado Springs is a great location for outdoor enthusiasts, families, intellectuals, hobbyists, environmentalists, and those ready to escape big-city stress.
- Mild mountain climate with 300 days of sunshine per year.
- Friendly and welcoming to newcomers.
- Affordable housing near our office.
- No traffic, no smog, and no parking problems.
- Excellent public schools.
- Year-round outdoors activities, including: hiking, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, road biking, rock climbing, fishing, horseback riding, and astronomy.
- 145 neighborhood parks, 146 miles of urban trails, and 14,000 acres of open space.
- Close to Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods.
- #1 in Money Magazine's "Big Cities to Live In"
- #1 in Outside Magazine's "Best Town"
- #5 in U.S. News & World Report's "Best Places To Live"
- #6 in Forbes's "America's Most Wired Cities"
- #7 in Backpacker Magazine's "Best Places to Raise an Outdoor Kid"
- #9 in Forbes's "America's Best Bang-for-the-Buck Cities"